T.E.C. Erfurt – a sporty new beginning
Thüringer Einkaufscenter Erfurt (T.E.C.) is an established, successful retail location, well located in the commuter belt around Erfurt, the capital of Thuringia. A comprehensive revitalisation programme aims to bring the T.E.C. even more into line with changing customer requirements and make significant improvements to customer experience in the centre. Since the middle of 2019, the owners, METRO PROPERTIES and Glinicke GmbH, have been working with the centre manager, MEC METRO-ECE Centermanagement GmbH & Co. KG, to implement a strategic realignment based on collected data.
Modernisation of the entire retail centre is due to be completed by mid-2020. Customers can look forward to an attractive, modern shopping experience.
Modern design concept gives fresh impetus
The departure of the Praktiker DIY store has freed up a total of 8,700 m2 of selling space. The owners have seized the opportunity to reposition T.E.C. Erfurt in line with future requirements.
The opening of DECATHLON in summer 2019, for instance, filled a gap in the sports and leisure segment, attracting new customer groups to the location. In a related move, a new fitness studio is opening its doors. Discount supermarket ALDI is now able to expand considerably, thanks to the space that has been freed up, and health and beauty store dm-drogerie markt has similar plans for the second quarter of 2020.
The new design concept also involves a gradual move towards a holistic, modern look in the outdoor and indoor areas. This includes a focus on designing bright, inviting entrance areas. Inside the centre, the refurbishment concept echoes the outdoor design in terms of the materials used and the colour scheme. By far the most visible sign of the new design concept is the minimalistic logo.
There is a demand for innovative concepts that provide answers to demographic change and changes in living habits. We will be keeping our eyes on millennials, the consumers with the highest purchasing power, without losing sight of other customer groups.Stephan Freitag, Head of Asset Management Center und Leasing Management, Region Germany
Dates and facts
- Location: T.E.C. Thüringer Einkaufscenter Erfurt, Hermsdorfer Straße 4, 99099 Erfurt, Germany
- Opening: spring 2020 following revitalisation
- Owners: METRO PROPERTIES and Glinicke GmbH
- Centre management: MEC METRO-ECE Centermanagement GmbH & Co. KG
- Selling space: 23,500 m2
- Number of shop units: 48
- Number of tenants: 43
- Anchor tenants: Real, DECATHLON , FitX, ALDI, dm-drogerie markt, Media Markt, Deichmann, Adler Modemarkt, Futterhaus
- Services: baker, florist, pharmacy, hairdresser, key cutting
- 1,000 free parking spaces, plus 400 parking spaces in the underground car park
- Facilities: free charging points for e-bikes and mobile devices
- Free Wi-F